So………as a Digital Marketer – (by now) you’ve probably heard that Website Cookies are being ‘phased-out’. We’re going to discuss two things, today: A) what is a ‘Cookie’ & B) what are your alternatives?
Rule #1: DON’T FREAK OUT!
Rule #2: Refer back to Rule #1
What are Cookies?
To put it simply, cookies are a bit like getting a ticket for a coat check:
- You hand over your “coat” to the cloak desk. In this case, a pocket of data is linked to you on the website server when you connect. This data can be your personal account, your shopping cart, or even just what pages you’ve visited.
- You get a “ticket” to identify you as the “coat” owner. The cookie for the website is given to you and stored in your web browser. It has a unique ID especially for you.
- If you leave and return, you can get the “coat” with your “ticket”. Your browser gives the website your cookie. It reads the unique ID in the cookie to assemble your activity data and recall your visit just as you left it.
Here’s how cookies are intended to be used:
- Session management. For example, cookies let websites recognize users and recall their individual login information and preferences, such as sports news versus politics.
- Personalization. Customized advertising is the main way cookies are used to personalize your sessions. You may view certain items or parts of a site, and cookies use this data to help build targeted ads that you might enjoy.
Programmatic Ad Targeting Types: Effective Methods for Audience Targeting
- Effective methods of programmatic ad targeting include: audience targeting, contextual targeting, behavioral targeting, geotargeting, cross-device targeting and retargeting.
- By employing programmatic ad targeting, marketers can be sure their budgets are going toward ads delivered only to relevant audiences.
- With Bullseye Marketing, marketers can create customized audience segments for targeting by leveraging people-based data, not anonymous cookies.
Programmatic ad targeting offers a simple solution: It helps brands reach the right people with the right content. By tapping into consumers’ locations, behaviors and more, ads can reach ideal audiences for maximum engagement. [...]